- Route: Rockies
- Ride Year: 2019
- Hometown: Dallas, Texas
- School Year: Sophomore
- Major: Aerospace Engineering
- Email: aaronL@tx.rr.com
Why I Ride
LOVED ONES - BRAVERY - HOPE
Many of us know someone who has been affected by cancer in some way, and if you’ve been lucky enough not to, the odds are that you will at some point in your life. We all know what it’s like to lose someone extremely close to us, and we can all relate to the pain, anger, and sadness that follows the loss of a loved one. Every father and mother should be able to watch their children grow up, nobody should have to watch their friends and family suffer, and people’s lives shouldn’t be cut short. Please support me on my journey to Alaska so that these tragedies may be prevented in the future.
The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be 1.73 million new cancer cases this year in the United States alone, and almost 37% of these cases will result in death. That’s about 1,670 deaths every day. The other 63% that are lucky enough to survive must lead very different lives than before their diagnosis. 100% of those diagnosed will go through a long, difficult treatment process, which takes a toll on them and their loved ones.
Personally, I have family members and friends whose lives have been severely affected by cancer. These people have had such an influence on me and have shaped my perspective on life. They have truly inspired me because of the BRAVERY they showed in their fight against cancer, or in their dealing with a LOVED ONE'S fight against cancer. I am honored to be able to ride for them along with everyone else who has been affected by this terrible disease.
I am riding for my friends and family whose lives have changed forever because of this disease, as well as the people who have supported them throughout their journeys. I am also riding for my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and greatest friends. These incredible people have always been there for me and have raised me to be the man I am today. I most certainly owe them my undying gratitude.
Most importantly, I am riding for HOPE. To me, this ride isn’t just a journey from one end of the continent to the other to raise money for this horrible disease, it is also about spreading hope and a positive outlook on life. If we can share our positive attitudes and help make just one cancer patient feel a little more hopeful, then all the hard work that we will have put into this organization would be absolutely worth it.