TEXAS 4000 SEEKS PROGRAM MANAGER!
Texas 4000 for Cancer is committed to cultivating student leaders and engaging communities in the fight against cancer. Annually, a group of more than 80+ students from The University of Texas at Austin are competitively selected to participate in the organization’s 18-month leadership development program which culminates in a 70-day summer bike ride from Austin, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska, to spread hope, knowledge, and charity in the fight against cancer.
Texas 4000 for Cancer is seeking a full-time Program Manager to administer the leadership development program, focusing on the program’s big picture goals and key partnerships. The Program Manager oversees all aspects of Texas 4000’s leadership development program, including curriculum planning, policy review and recommendations, recruitment, orientation of program participants, summer ride planning, and evaluation and reporting on programmatic performance, to ensure riders meet or exceed requirements. This position reports to the Executive Director and supervises the work of the Program Coordinator which is focused on the day-to-day activities and mentorship of the team members.
We are seeking someone with experience building, motivating, mentoring, and leading teams, and who enjoys working with college students to foster and develop their leadership skills. The ideal candidate is creative, solution oriented, patient, good humored, personable, professional, organized, likes collaborating and working as a member of a small team, and is passionate about the fight against cancer.
- Manage and execute all aspects of the leadership development program and curriculum.
- Supervise and mentor the Program Coordinator and delegate work to achieve goal.
- Train and mentor the team’s leadership to facilitate growth in their leadership skills.
- Perform weekly check-ins with team leadership and evaluate progress each semester.
- Oversee accountability and discipline within the team and adherence to Texas 4000’s policies and procedures.
- Manage the team recruitment process with a focus on inclusion, diversity, and equity.
- Oversee the team’s fitness and safety program and cycling training.
- Manage all aspects of the 70-day summer ride and the team’s preparedness.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with vendors, sponsors, UT administration, alumni, and others to support program activities.
- Present bi-monthly program status updates to the Board of Directors and Board Program Committee.
- Provide support to the Executive Director to manage program expenses and contracts and needs of the Board of Directors.
Qualifications and Capabilities:
We know that this is not a traditional program manager role and it is most important to hire the best candidate, a creative leader with vision and insight that also aligns with our values as an organization.
Some or all of these would be great to see in the ideal candidate’s background:
- Team player with commitment to cultivate young leaders and fighting cancer.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years of work experience developing young adults. Background in sports medicine, social work, or leadership-based programming preferred.
- Enthusiastic about mentoring college students, leadership development, and the pursuit of an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Experience in leadership development and mentoring, building, motivating, and leading teams with a diverse group of people.
- Cycling training background and/or alumni of Texas 4000 or similar cycling program.
- A highly organized, focused, self-motivated, resourceful individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to prioritize among competing priorities and multi-task across a broad spectrum of collaborators to meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work flexible hours, including nights (e.g. Monday night team meetings, ride director meetings), weekends (e.g. Skills clinics, Training Camp, half-century cycling test and century cycling test) and other meetings with student/riders as needed.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 11:59pm on Sunday, November 14, 2021.