Anchorage Finish Line Festival, Presented by Hilcorp Alaska, LLC
Join us to help celebrate the completion of the 2019’s 70 day journey in Alaska. We have a weekend of festivities planned, all kicking off with our Anchorage Finish Line Festival, Presented by Hilcorp Alaska, LLC. Join us to cheer the 2019 team across the finish line on August 9th, enjoy a Mexican food buffet, and help celebrate these student riders and their incredible accomplishments.
More information on 2019 Finish Line Activities is coming soon!
Here are some suggestions for things to see and do while in Anchorage and nearby.
- Go to the Alaska Zoo to see rescued Alaska wild animals (and a few random animals from other places)
- Rent a bike from the Downtown Bike Shop and bike the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail
- Go to the Anchorage Museum (great museum with lots of cool stuff including a children’s museum, an art section and tons of native history and artifacts) (one of my favorite places)
- Hike up Flattop Mountain
- On Saturday go to the downtown Saturday market for people-watching and souvenir-purchasing
- Go to one of the many local breweries for a tasting – some also have good food
South of Anchorage:
- Drive to Alyeska ski resort and stop along the way at points of interest. In Alyeska, take the tram to the top of the mountain or take a hike on the Winner Creek Trail, through the northernmost rainforest in North America to a hand tram that crosses Winner Creek (bring bug dope)
- Drive through the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
- Pan for gold at Crow Creek Mine
- Eat Alaska Cajun food at the Double Musky in Girdwood
North of Anchorage:
- Take the short hike to Thunderbird Falls
- Drive to Independence Mine and walk around an old abandoned mine
- Drive to Whittier and take a 3-hr wildlife-viewing cruise
- Drive (or take the train) to Seward, take a fishing charter or wildlife-viewing cruise, and go to the Sealife Center (our state aquarium)
- Drive to Homer, take a fishing charter or wildlife-viewing cruise, check out the many art studios and souvenir shops, and buy a drink at the Salty Dog Saloon
- Drive (or take the train) to Denali Park. Go river rafting. Take the bus all the way into Denali Park and get off along the way to take short hikes or just look around. (Another bus will be by to pick you back up.)
- Take a flight-seeing trip or one of the many other tours available on-line